Red Lentil Curry is most common in Pakistan and India . This really is an easy dish to make and best for dinner. This dish is great served with basmati rice.
- Red lentils 2 cups
- Onion, diced 1 large
- Vegetable oil 1 tablespoon
- Curry paste 2 tablespoons
- Curry powder 1 tablespoon
- Ground turmeric 1 teaspoon
- Ground cumin 1 teaspoon
- Chili powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Minced garlic 1 teaspoon
- Minced fresh ginger1 teaspoon
- Tomato puree 1 can (14.25 ounce)
- In first step, wash the lentils in water until the water runs clear. Put lentils in a pot with enough water to cover; bring to a boil, place a cover on the pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, adding water during cooking as needed to keep covered, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
- In second step, heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onions in hot oil until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Mix curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt, garlic, and ginger together in a large bowl; stir into the onions. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, remove from heat and stir into the lentils.
- Red Lentil Curry is ready for dinner.