Black-Eyed Peas Recipe
Dried black-eyed peas,2 cups soaked overnight
Olive oil, 5 tablespoons
Onion, 2 diced
Green pepper 1 diced
Garlic 3 cloves minced
Lime juice 2 tablespoons
Soy sauce 1/2 cup
Canned tomato sauce 1 cup
Ground cumin 1 tablespoon
Dried thyme 1 teaspoon
Teaspoons salt 1 1/2 or to taste
Cracked black pepper 1 teaspoon
Garlic powder 1 teaspoon
Chicken stock 2 cups
Water 2 cups
Bay leaves 3
- In a large stock pot, boil the black-eyed peas with enough water on medium heat, about 50 minutes to an hour.
- Drain beans, reserving cooking water.
- In a pan over medium heat, combine oil, onions, and green pepper. Sauté until the vegetables soften, about five to seven minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about two minutes.
- Meanwhile, add black-eyed peas and fry for 2 minutes.
- Then add lime juice, canned tomato, cumin, dried thyme, salt, cracked black pepper, garlic powder.
- Fry these spices for a while and then add chicken stock and bay leaves.
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat or until gravy are thick.